Sunday, April 27, 2008

"Me want Cookies!"

So...Stephanie and I were attending a friends birthday party today and we thought it only appropriate to bring something to the Birthday girl.  Seeing that we are poor volunteers, we opted to make cookies...Snickerdoodles! Great Idea!  A real taste from home!   The only problem is that neither Steph nor I has any experience cooking in the States, much less in our less familiar Albanian kitchens, that lack any sort of measuring cup, flat cookies tray, Pam spray or American luxuries of the like.  When we were visiting Burrel, or host volunteers had given us may recipes to take home and try, so we decided on Snickerdoodles, seeing as we could find most of the ingredients!  

We met at Stephanie's house to prepare our special treats, and Stephaine's host mom was definitely interested to see what the Americans were up to now!  Steph and I in the kitchen was like the blind leading the blind!  "What's the difference b/t self rising flour and regular", she asks me?  "Have not idea," I reply!  "What's cream of tarter," I ask?  "Who knows.  Don't have it, so...let's just add more baking soda," Steph says to me.  To add to the uncertainty of our whole little baking bonanza, the oven is in Celsius and our mom has told us the temperature is not that constant...at least that is what we thought she said in broken Shqip.  

We got them made up and baked, and amazingly, they turned out Great!  We were and still are so proud that we were able to conquer the kitchen! 

2 comments:

marcia said...

Imagining you in the kitchen trying to bakc cookies makes me laugh! So happy they turned out despite all your challenges. Maybe I've not totally failed you as a MOM after all. Have a great week, my sweetie. Love you lots,
MOM

Unknown said...

Yea La La! I'm so proud of you! Next time you should attempt the raspberry jam thumb print cookies! Those rock!!! So glad you are broadening your horizons and having a good time.

Miss you tons,
Chicken Mini