Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Meridita

Things are going really well. Our town, Belsh, is such a great place. I'll put pics up soon. My group is great and we are enjoying our time together trying to learn the language. Making a little progress each day. Belsh is so beautiful. We are right on a lake and the backdrop is snow capped mountains. Gorgeous! My birthday was so great. My host family bought me a cake and a necklace and our training group went on a long walk and then got coffee. Food is great, people are great, and weather is mostly great. One night is really cold...like 32 degrees!!!! Good thing I have my sleeping bag. It has come in handy. Also, to date I have not had to use a turkish toilet! Hope that trend continues. Miss you guys so much.

5 comments:

Joanna said...

Lauren, please continue with the updates .... this old chicky is living vicariously through you! So sorry to hear about the luggage troubles, but sounds as though all else is going well and I look forward to hearing more about your experiences. How about teaching us a new phrase every week? Miss you, JoJo

marcia said...

Hi Sweetie! Delighted to hear you're having a great experience. I so hope that continues. Your host family sounds fantastic. More info about them, your home, etc... Missing you here in Big D,

Mom

KLas said...

Hi Lauren! I am so glad you have arrived safe and sound, and I'm thrilled that you have already had some good experiences. The town sounds beautiful, and what a great change to see mountains. Take care! I have your blog bookmarked.

Kathryn Laster

Sarah said...

dear lauren,
im soo happpy everything is working out so great! everything sounds amazing and intersting! its so exciting! i hope you continue to learn more and have fun! i love youu! <3- sarah holmes

Chris Edwards said...

April 3, 2008

**** From Grammy ****

Dear Lauren;

Loved your last communication. You are teaching us a lot about Albania.
Did you tell your host family that you wouldn't even eat duck eggs and
thought your grandma was strange because she did. How do you know you wouldn't like something if you don't try it? They eat it, so you know it IS eatable.

And about lamb: Most people in the northern U.S. fix lamb at home, or used to. It is hard to buy it in the grocery stores in Texas, or it used to be when your mom and I moved here from Wisconsin in 1960. I used to
LOVE a good lamb roast at home. And lamb chops are delicious, though small.

Before your mother was born, all my washing was hung out on the
clothesline to dry, although it was hung either in the basement (in
winter) or in the BACK yard.
I was grateful to Grandma Myrt in 1955 for buying me one of the first
automatic dryers when they became available so I could dry my new
baby's diapers.

Keep up all your great descriptions of everyone. I feel as if I am right there with you.

Love you,
Grams