Friday, June 13, 2008

Gjithmone Gati! (Always Ready!)





 So...It's official!  I am now a Peace Corps Volunteer.  Our swearing in ceremony was great.  The Mayor of the town we trained in was there, all our training staff and teachers and the Ambassador of the US in Albania was there, too.  He did our actual swearing in.  Greg and Courtney did a great job delivering a speech that they wrote all in Shqip. At the end of the speech they asked, "Ju Jeni Gati?", to which all the volunteers replied "Gjithmone Gati!"  At the end we all stood up raised or right hands and took and oath that we would defend the US constitution and serve as god PCV's!  My parents came as did many of the other volunteer's families.  The auditorium was pack! We had a little reception for the people who traveled in to town to see us and then it was all over.  I am still going to go back to my host family tonight for one more night, and then I depart in the morning.  However, lot's of the volunteers will be departing from Elbasan early saturday and this is the last time (for a while) that I will see them.  It's sad to say goodbye, but I know that I will be making visits to their sites soon!  Once I get to site I will post pictures of the whole ceremony.

1 comment:

marcia said...

HI sweetie, Love seeing the new pictures you've posted, reading about your ceremony and move to Berat. Wish your Dallas family could have attended, but so happy your Belsh "parents" were there. What a wonderful, loving "family" you were fortunate enough to be assigned. I know you'll miss them and their loving home. Hope day one at work has gone well. Love,MOM